Some of our early goals include:
- creating "GMO-free zone" signage that local gardens and gardeners can use
- increasing awareness of safe seed in the greater Los Angeles area
- creating "seed sanctuaries" within our city -- gardens where safe seed is cultivated and collected ... register your garden!
- helping Vandana Shiva to create an animated film about food and seed
- getting Los Angeles City and County declared as GMO-free zones
1. Create seed banks and libraries in school and community gardens.
2. Make LA County a GMO free zone, regardless of Prop 37 results - reach out to County Supervisors to get this passed.
3. Create uniform GMO free zone signage to put in gardens everywhere.
4. Create a Facebook page/group page to concentrate efforts of the LA area food growers, food activists, clean food advocates, the public, etc. https://www.facebook.com/SeedFreedomLA
5. Reach out and connect to other allies to bring them into these initiatives
6. Create exchange program between LA teachers/students and Navdanya in India - to participate in Navdanya's A-Z program in India.
7. Gather/create a book collection on seed freedom, organic foods and gardening - make this available at public libraries and other central locations.
Downloadable Navdanya publications: http://www.navdanya.org/publications
8. Broaden the range of biodiverse practices we engage in as individuals, in our advocacy and in our gardens - for example, integrating Fibers of Freedom (http://fibres-of-freedom.com/)
9. Create a film on the Story of Food (to expose what has happened to our food from a broader picture and historical perspective)
Who are we?Seed Freedom LA is a project of
- Friends of Navdanya, the U.S. 501(c)(3) of Vandana Shiva, international food and seed activist
- Seed Library of Los Angeles
- Environmental Change-Makers
- Enrich LA
- Watts Labor Community Action Committee
- Institute of Urban Ecology
- "GMO O.M.G." film producers
- Local Blu
- and many more ...